After you obtain your HQL, use us to take the required 16-hour training class for your Maryland wear and carry pistol license.
Next Wear and Carry Classroom dates
After you complete the classroom you will meet at the shooting range for 2 sessions of live fire or 3 live fire date will satisfied the 16 hour training requirement
October 17th 2022 Monday
8:30am to 2:30pm
Live fire at Schrader's
October 18th 2022 Tuesday
11:30am to 5:30pm Live fire at Schrader's
October 20th 2022 Thursday
8:30 to 2:30pm
Live fire at Schrader's
October 21st 2022 Friday
11:30am to 5:30pm
Live fire at Schrader's
Wear & Carry Live Fire Information
Please make every effort to be on time. Please don't inconvenience other students. We meet inside the clubhouse (Schrader's Outdoors, Henderson, Maryland.)
Make sure to bring more WATER than you think you will need. Gatorade and flavored drinks are not sufficient by themselves to correctly hydrate in these extreme heat. Bring snacks. Fully charge your cell phones. Remember to bring all of your ammo with you also.
There is none to buy at this range. Better to have too much ammo than too little.
We recommend only wearing a tee shirt (It gets very hot on the range)We have been having really great days on the range and have been accomplishing a lot with students of all level of experience. We look forward to more sessions.
Be ready to be able to do the following on your own during the live fire sessions. You will be doing these tasks all day by your self.
(A) Load and unload your pistol. Loading magazines
(B) Lock the side of the pistol open
(C) Cycling of the slide in order to load or unload your pistol(D) Follow directions of the Instructor and remain focused
(E) Safely handle your pistol and always keep the pistol pointed down range.
Things to remember:
1. We shoot in the rain (We need training to be ready in all weather environments) We also shoot in extreme heat. It will be very hot on the range. Begin hydrating with water well before the training.
2. You should buy a holster for your pistol. A hardshell one for outside the hip with a finger release locks suggested. Training with a pistol by picking it from a table is not really training you to your full potential. We will provide links for some examples of a holster and ammo pouch upon your request. We recommend holsters that will be good to use under a business suit or jeans with cover shirt. An in the belt holster is probably not the best thing for this training. You will not get the full advantage of learning how to draw, shoot and re-holster correctly. You will also increase the chance of an accidental discharge of your weapon with an in the belt holster. Its ok if you don't have a holster or ammo pouch. Just keep in mind to one day get one.
3. You are required to pay for the cost of the use of the range which is $15 per hour.
4. You need to bring at least 300 NEW rounds of ammo for your gun. We will be doing a lot of shooting. Do not buy reloaded ammo, we will not put it in our guns. You are welcome to use it in your guns if you like. They do not sell pistol ammo at the range YOU NEED TO BUY IT PRIOR TO THE SHOOTING SESSIONS.
5. We have ear and eye protection for you if you don't have it.
6. Please remember that time is extremely precious . Please make certain that if we are going to meet, please do not cancel. Prioritize this training. We are prioritizing you, so please prioritize us. There is very limited range time. We are hearing that there will be approximately 800,000 applications getting put in for wear and carry. The longer we wait to get this done, the more applications will be in front of yours thus making the process potentially a year long (who knows) Update Aug 30th 2022: One of our students just got their wear and carry permit back in a month.
7. Bring lots of food, water, and whatever you need to remain focused in the shooting range for 5 hours.
8. Please respond to this posting and rsvp times that you plan to attend live fire sessions. We will mark you to confirm the dates.
9. Please bring the best tactical pistol you have. The pistol you would use for self defense. (preferably made or designed in the last decade or so.) There is no need to bring 2 or 3 guns. (it will only confuse things). Best to focus on using the best gun in your inventory for this training. If for some reason you have no pistol, you may use our Glock 17, 9mm. Today's tactical pistols have no safety and no hammer, if your pistol has one or both of these, then it is already obsolete in the world of tactical shooting (no offense intended). We highly recommending getting a Glock, S&W Shield, a Springfield XD or a pistol that is right up there with those pistols. Unfortunately, revolvers are no match for our criminal opponents that are now carrying high end pistols with high capacity magazines (17 shots)(see Baltimore City police facebook page for guns they are taking off criminals these days). It's just food for thought. No worries if you come with a revolver. We love shooting them too. We will get you up to par with a revolver also.
10. We are hearing that appointments for fingerprinting are now a 2 week wait. Make an appointment for your prints around the time you will be done with the live fire training. 16 hours. A student recently told us that the QAC Sheriffs office also need to have appointments for fingerprints. I would call before showing up there.
11. We cannot qualify you with less than 16 hours of training. We are mandated by the Maryland State Police to provide the training and we are legally required to provide the full 16 hours of training and the qualification live fire course. It's the law. We can not use the 16 hours from the wear and carry towards the HQL. They are two separate licenses. The HQL is an addition 4 hour class. Both classes would equal at total of 20 hours of training.
12. You will be on the range shooting with multiple other shooters also obtaining their wear and carry permit. It is loud, hot, uncomfortable and sometimes hot brass can contact your skin in the course of shooting. Like with the hobby of horse ridding, you can fall off the horse, you can also get bumps, cuts, burns and bruises while shooting.
13. Please no pictures. We don't want our picture taken and other students need to have their privacy respected, please no videos or photos, we really appreciate it. We also do not have time to provide a photo shoot during the precious shooting time. We need all focus on safety and listening to the commands of the range official and on shooting.
14.This 16 hour training is not a PAY & PASS COURSE. You can fail. Here are a few ways to fail. 1. Not shooting a qualifying course (You will get many chances) 2. Not completing the required hours for training. Failure to follow commands and habitually unsafe gun handling conditions for yourself, Instructor and other students.
15. DO NOT bring anyone with you that is not a registered student in the wear & carry training. DO NOT bring any pets with you.
READ EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU CALL.
MOST QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE
Those seeking their wear & carry training will need to attend 2 of the 6 hour live fire shooting sessions listed and the classroom portion or 3 live fire dates. . Just let us know which dates work for you. Arrive 30 mins early for safety brief. You will be release 30 mins later than live fire finish time in order to clean weapons and range clean up.
READ everything below to be prepared for your training on the range some things have changed:Here are some additional live fire training dates being held at Schrader's Outdoors in Henderson, Maryland.
WEEKENDS ARE NO LONGER OPEN
ALL LIVE FIRE CAN ONLY BE DONE ON WEEKDAYS DO TO SHOOTING RANGES BEING OVERBOOKED
June 23rd 2022
Supreme Court Decision Update
We are working full-time to offer the 16 hour training to wear and carry candidates in Maryland.
What's next after the June 23rd 2022 decision?
Our best guess is that the State of Maryland will now include SELF DEFENSE as a category to apply for a wear and carry permit. It was not a listed category prior to June 23rd 2022. We believe everything thing else in the application process will remain the same. Contact your attorney or the Maryland State Police for the final say.
What can you do now?
Keep following all the rules and laws under Maryland law and the Handgun permit section of the Maryland State Police until they make changes to the wear and carry application process
We think you should obtain your 16 hour wear and carry training in advance of the changes that are coming in order to get it done and be ready to submit your application.
How do I arrange times and dates for the training?
Call us 855-589-2267 or sign up on line. Go to the "Make a Payment page on our website"
There is a massive surge in requests for this training and if he does not answer he will return your call asap. You can also email him at email@example.com or text him.
We usually have 16 hour wear and carry candidates come to the soonest HQL class in order to refresh in safety and pistol operations. We count this towards your 16 hours. We then meet 2 other times a the pistol range (usually Schrader's in Henderson, Maryland) to complete the 16hrs
You will need a minimum of 250 bullets
You will need to pay for the use of the range in addition to your fees.
Are you ready?
Pay by going to the "Make a Payment section"
Please read all the instructions and expectations below.
16 Hour REQUIRED Initial Maryland State Pistol License Course
For all 4 hour HQL, 16 hour and 8 hour wear and carry students
Our Fee $600 for 16 hour wear and carry course
YOU MUST READ THE ENTIRE SET OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS
/////// MUST READ BELOW///////
PLEASE DO NOT BRING FIREARMS OR BULLETS INSIDE ANY OF OUR FACILITIES IS SHARED WITH MANY OTHER GROUPS. LEAVE ALL AMMUNITION AND FIREARMS UNLOADED AND LOCKED UP IN YOUR VEHCLE UNTILL IT IS INSPECTED AND RENDERED SAFE BY AN INSTRUCTOR.
DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL 8 HOURS PRIOR TO THIS CLASS OR DURING THIS CLASS. ANY STUDENT WITH THE SMELL OF ALCOHOL ON THEIR PERSON WILL BE TOLD TO LEAVE. NO REFUND WILL BE GRANTED.
IF YOU ARE TAKING ANY MEDICATIONS THAT PREVENTS YOU FROM OPERATING MACHINERY, DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THE CLASS UNTIL YOU ARE NO LONGER TAKING THE PRESCRIPTION. YOU CAN NOT TAKE CODEINE, PERCOCET, COUGH MEDICINE WITH CODEINE OR ANY OTHER NARCOTIC BASED MEDICINE 8 HOURS PRIOR OR DURING THE CLASS AND SHOOTING PORTION. IF YOU APPEAR TO BE UNDER ANY INFLUENCE OF A DRUG OR NARCOTIC, YOU WILL BE TOLD TO LEAVE. NO REFUND WILL BE GRANTED.
IF YOU ARE A CONVICTED FELON, SEX OFFENDER OR SOMEONE WHO IS BARRED FROM POSSESSING A FIREARM LEGALLY, YOU ARE NOT LEGALLY PERMITTED TO ATTEND THIS CLASS. PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP FOR IT. YOU WILL NOT BE REFUNDED.
IF YOU ARE USER OF MARIJUANA OR HAVE A MEDICAL MARIJUANA CARD, PLEASE CHECK WITH THE MARYLAND STATE POLICE TO SEE IF THEY WILL ISSUE YOU A HQL PRIOR TO TAKING THIS CLASS. IF YOU HAVE A SMELL OF MARIJUANA ON YOU AT CLASS, YOU WILL BE TOLD TO LEAVE . NO REFUND WILL BE GRANTED .
IF YOU HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH A MENTAL DISORDER SUCH AS PTSD OR ANY OTHER MENTAL DISORDER, YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO ATTEND THIS CLASS UNLESS THE MARYLAND STATE POLICE AUTHORIZES IT. PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THE CLASS.
IF YOU HAVE CLAUSTROPHOBIA YOU MAY CONSIDER NOT TAKING THIS CLASS. THE SHOOTING RANGE REQUIRES BOTH SHOOTER AND INSTRUCTOR TO SHOOT FROM A SMALL CONFINED SPACE FIRING LANE. IT CAN BE HOT, CRAMPED, LOUD AND UNCOMFORTABLE DURING THE SHOOTING PORTION OF THIS CLASS.
IF YOU HAVE A SIGNIFICANT FEAR OF FIREARMS OR YOU HAVE ENCOUNTERED AN TRAUMATIC EVENT WITH FIREARMS, THIS CLASS MAY NOT BE FOR YOU. THIS IS NOT A CLASS DESIGNED TO MAKE YOU OVERCOME YOUR FEAR NOR IS IT THERAPY. THERE ARE TIME RESTRAINTS AND OTHER STUDENTS WILL BE GREATLY INCONVENIENCED IF THEY NEED TO WAIT FOR SOMEONE TO OVERCOME THEIR FEAR. YOU ARE ALSO PLACING OUR STAFF IN AN ELEVATED RISK OF DANGER BECAUSE OF YOUR FEAR. IF YOU DECIDE THAT YOU WILL TAKE THIS CLASS, YOU HAVE AN ABSOLUTE OBLIGATION TO TELL THE INSTRUCTOR IN THE DAYS PRIOR THE THE CLASS OF YOUR FEAR OR ANY PRIOR NEGATIVE EXPERIENCES WITH FIREARMS SO THEY CAN BE PREPARED. WE CAN ALSO ARRANGE TRAINING FOR YOU BEFORE YOU GO TO THE HQL CLASS TO WORK ONE ON ONE TO HELP RELIEVE YOU OF THE FEAR OF FIREARMS.
ANY UNSAFE ACTS, JOKING OR INABILITY TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS WITH A FIREARM IN THE CLASSROOM OR ON THE RANGE MAY LEAD TO BEING TOLD THAT YOU MUST LEAVE. YOUR FINGER MUST REMAIN OF THE TRIGGER OF A FIREARM UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO SHOOT. PICKING UP A PISTOL AS IF IT IS A HAIRDRYER MAY ALSO GET YOU EJECTED FROM THE CLASS. ALWAYS POINT THE FIREARM IN A SAFE DIRECTION AT ALL TIMES AND WITH A FIRM GRIP. NEVER LOSE YOUR GRIP OR LET GO OF A PISTOL WHEN SHOOTING. NO REFUND WILL BE GRANTED IF YOU ARE TOLD TO LEAVE.
PERSONS WHO REPEAT SIGNING UP FOR CLASSES AND DO NOT ATTEND MAY BE BARRED FROM TAKING OUR CLASSES IN THE FUTURE.
PERSONS THAT HAVE NERVE DAMAGE IN THEIR FINGERS, HANDS OR LEGS AND HAVE GREAT DIFFICULTY FIRMLY GRIPPING A PISTOL OR PULLING THE TRIGGER WITH A RESISTANCE OF 5 POUNDS MAY NOT BE BEST SUITED FOR THIS CLASS UNTIL THEIR CONDITION IS CORRECTED. CONSIDER THE DANGER TO YOU AND OUR STAFF.
PERSONS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH BALANCE OR THAT USE A CANE MAY CONSIDER NOT TAKING THIS CLASS UNLESS THEIR CONDITION IS CORRECTED BECAUSE THE SHOOTING PORTION OF THIS TRAINING IS DONE IN THE STANDING POSITION. PLEAE DO NOT PLACE OUR STAFF IN THE UNCOMFORTABLE POSITION OF TRYING TO TRAIN YOU WHEN YOU ARE IN A TEMPORARY POSITION OF REDUCED MOBILITY.
THERE ARE NO REFUNDS ONCE YOU PAY FOR THIS CLASS. WE ARE ALSO UNABLE TO CHANGE THE DATE SO MAKE SURE YOU MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WORK THAT DAY OR HAVE OTHER OBLIGATIONS. WE CAN NOT ARRANGE FOR YOU TO ATTEND THE CLASS AND THEN COME ANOTHER DAY TO SATISFY THE SHOOTING PORTION OF THIE CLASS. ALL MUST BE COMPLETED ON THE DAY OF YOUR SCHEDULED CLASS.
WE DONT WANT STUDENTS IN A RUSH DURING THIS CLASS DURING THIS POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS TRAINING. BE SURE TO DEVOTE YOUR ENTIRE DAY TO COMPLETING THE HQL CLASS WITH NO OTHER DISTRACTIONS PLEASE. WE ARE NOT ALWAYS IN CONTROL OF HOW LONG IT MAY TAKE AT THE SHOOTING RANGE. ALSO SOME CLASSES HAVE MORE QUESTIONS THAN OTHERS THUS MAKING THE CLASSROOM TIME LONGER. CLASSES MAY RUN LONGER THAN THE SCHEDULED CLASS TIMES. IT IS ALWAYS BEST PRACTICE TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE NO OTHER PLANS FOR LATER THE DAY OR HAVE ANY OTHER OBLIGATIONS OR APPOINTMENTS. YOUR FULL ATTENTION IS REQUIRED.
ANYONE LYING ABOUT ANY OF THE ABOUT POINTS WILL BE TOLD TO LEAVE. NO REFUND WILL BE GRANTED.
INSTRUCTORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DISMISS A STUDENT FOR ANY OF THE REASONS ABOVE WITHOUT REFUND .
STUDENTS AGREE THAT THIS CLASS IS BEING TAKEN AT THEIR OWN RISK AND HEREBY RELEASE, INDEMNIFY, AND HOLD HARMLESS ALL PUBLIC SECURITY LLC STAFF, EMPLOYEES AND INSTRUCTORS FROM ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, CAUSES OF ACTIONS AND LIABILITY ARISING FROM OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH ANY FIREARMS, SECURITY OR TACTICAL INSTRUCTION. THIS IS TO INCLUDE THE STAFF, PROPERTY OWNERS AND BUSINESS OF THE ANY PRIVATE LOCATION OF ANY SHOOTING RANGE AND OWNERS OF SUCH. THE ENTIRE SCHOOL AND SHOOTING PORTION IS BEING CONDUCTED AT YOUR OWN RISK
Handgun Qualification Class Course (HQL) $150
Class instructed by Barry Donadio (Former U.S. Secret Service)
For: MEN, WOMEN, YOUTHS (min age for youths is 14) (same price for youths)
There is only one way to reserve a seat in a class. That is by paying in advance for your s